I challenge my friends at this game when they´re over. Now I have no friends anymore.
Lamentable Soccer (C64)
Bend it like Beckham with this free-kick mini-game. You have 20 shots to score as many points as possible. Points are awarded for goals scored, the closer to the targets in the net the more points are scored, up to 120 per shot.
This game was written over a weekend for the C64 Cassette 50 charity competition, where all code and data has to reside below $1000 in memory. Playable in the browser only until the competition is over.
- To aim, wait for the moving ball to be in the right position and then hold fire (Z)
- The longer you hold fire, the more power is added
- Adjust the height of the shot by also holding back on the stick (down arrow)
- Release the fire button to shoot
- When the ball is in the air, pull left or right to add swerve
- The game is definitely tricker with keys than a joystick! But practice will be rewarded.
- Between 0.5 seconds and 2 seconds should provide enough power depending on your distance to the goal.
- If you are close to goal, loft will need to be added almost immediately to get over the wall.
- If you are far away, loft may only be required for around a half of the power phase
- Use aftertouch to get the ball around the wall or end up closer to the target
I wanted to have the wall jumping so you could try and place a low shot under them, and balls going in off the post or bar, but simply ran out of memory. Very early on there were goalkeeper sprites too but the memory they took up and the code needed for the AI made that a non-starter.
And yes, I'm still looking for the cause of a bug where the ball sometimes shoots off at a crazy speed and angle. Answers on a postcard!
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I want it in digital version!!!!! Please!
This is ridiculously good. What is wrong with you? Stop making me look like the amateur I am...
Seriously though, I am in equal parts impressed and utterly jealous. Keep it up!
14 Goals , 930 points...my best try yet....cmon guys, I want to know your scores, and encourage Arlasoft to develope this game a little further! =D
Great one, I like this a lot! Although I still have to practice.^^
Can I somehow vote for it or who judges the rankings of the competition? For my taste, the best entry up to now....
This one is truly fun....after the competiton you should think about developing it further!
Add the things you already had to leave out, add a titlescreen, music, more sound effects (audience, "chants", drums, hitting the goal posts), add different game modes (f.e. "time attack mode), a (saveable) highscore list....
I would buy it.^^
I think I like this so much, because I just love Sensible Soccer and it looks a lot like it. I wonder why noone ever tried to port it to the C64.
Oh, and it reminds me of "Peter Shiltons Handball Maradonna", although there you control the goalie. Played that game a lot back in the days...
Thanks very much, glad you enjoyed it! A port of Sensi is something I'd like to do one day, but I probably need to do another game with scrolling first to get the hang of that, as there needs to be plenty of CPU time left to do some decent AI.
Awesome game! Perfect contribution for the cassette!